Leading up to the arrival of our February Box, you may have heard us talk about Alain Ducasse once or twice.
He is arguably one of the best chefs in France, so we have decided to share one of his simple but delicious quiche lorraine recipes.
The quiche lorraine is an essential part of French gastronomy and is as simple to make as it is delicious. Accompanied by a green salad, it is a real complete dish.
Serves 8 people
2 cups or 500g flour
1 teaspoon or 10g salt
1 1/4 cup or 300g butter
1 egg yolk
2/3 cup or 80g flour for dusting
Water as needed
8 ounces or 250g smoked pork
1 1/2 tablespoons or 20ml olive oil
2 egg yolks
1 cup or 250g milk
1 cup or 250g heavy cream
Pinch of salt
Dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
Dash of nutmeg
7 ounces or 20g Gruyère shredded cheese
- Sift the flour and make a well in the center
- Add salt, water, egg yolk, and cubed butter
- Mix together with your fingertips and gradually bring ingredients together
- Knead very briefly if needed. Roll the pastry into a ball without working the douch any further and cover with plastic wrap
- Refriderate so that the dough becomes firmer and loses any remaining elasticity
- Quickly sauté your smoked pork in oil over high heat until just cooked
- Be sure not to dry them out
- Drain on paper towels
- Mix the eggs, egg yols, cream and milk together in a small bowl
- Season with salt, cayenne pepper, and a dash of nutmeg
- Butter and flour a tart mold (9 1/2″) and place it in the fridge to chill
- Roll the dough out to a thickness of 1/16th of an inch
- Dock it all over
- Line the tart pan with the dough
- Brush away any excess flour
- Crimp edges of the dough around the mold
- Scatter the bacon and the Gruyère evenly over the crust
- Pour the custard mixture over
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes
- Serve cold or warm with a simple green salad and enjoy
If you love cooking as much as we do, make sure to reserve our February Box, Le French Chef!
We have included a beautiful array of luxurious items that we believe every home cook should have.
Boxes will be shipping very soon!
To reserve one for yourself or gift to a friend, click HERE